FutureWaves® is the commercial variant of a system developed for the US Navy by Applied Physical Sciences Corp of Groton, CT USA. FutureWaves® uses a customized X-Band radar, innovative real-time signal processing and real-time vessel motion modeling to enable accurate measurement and forecasting of local wavefields and the resultant vessel deck motions out to 60+ seconds. The system was developed under funding from the Office of Naval Research as the Environment and Ship Motion Forecasting (ESMF) system, primarily to support safe Seabasing operations in limiting sea states. FutureWaves®,
- Measures local wavefields using a customized X-Band radar (can also serve as a marine navigation radar)
- Provides heading/course recommendations to minimize motions of interest
- Monitors and records 6DOF vessel motions and key environmentals of wind and sea state for trend analysis and operational advisement
- Employs innovative real-time signal processing to forecast incident wave energy at the platform and/or along the ship’s track
- Uses the incident wave energy and real-time vessel motion modeling to enable accurate forecasting of the resultant vessel deck motions out to 60+ seconds
- Provides queuing information for upcoming quiescent periods or conversely, imminent excessive motions
Beyond skin-to-skin operations, FutureWaves® has applicability in offshore heavy lift and construction, launch and recovery of helicopters, small boats, and manned and unmanned vehicles from stationary or moving platforms.